16 May 2005

the 'kiss cam' proposal

Why? Really...why does this keep happening? During the latter portion of the "kiss cam" at almost every Astros home game that I have attended, we find ourselves participating in one of the most critical moments during the life of any long-term couple: the proposal. I don't understand this phenomenon.

Let the record reflect that I am, in fact, quite a fan of the game...but there's much ground to be covered before I'd consider it dreamy for my guy to ask for my hand in front of a crowd of roughly 30,000 - 40,000 people. And I say this because I think the vast majority of the girls I see trying out their new ring on the jumbo-tron for all to see are in my club.

Let's evaluate the typical "kiss cam" proposal. Guy is wearing at least one piece of Astros (or baseball) paraphernalia; Girl is generally NOT wearing such gear. Guy is awkwardly watching the cam until he realizes that "he's on", then scrambles to a knee (assuming camera position allows for such a gesture), and hopes for the best as the crowd looks on (and while I, admittedly, am screaming "SAY NO!" because I think any guy that doesn't know me (or her) well enough to know this is NOT my (or her) dream does not deserve a YES to that question). The whole thing seems "hurried", Girl usually looks rather caught off guard, always gives a big nod to Guy (and the camera) and all the world cheers as she tries on the ring. Somehow I feel like I'm invading their personal space...and I didn't at all mean to do it! (But I can't not look at it.)

Two clarifications:
1. Guys, if your girl can out-quote you on any given player's stats, college play, or rules of the game (especially differences between secondary, college, minor and major league rules)...you *might* consider it...but I'd ask at least one of her (closest) girlfriends before popping the question in front of us all.

2. Even if #1 above applies (which it doesn't, and never will), the ONLY acceptable situation in which I would accept, dare I say enjoy, a proposal from my guy during a major league ball game is if Guy is WEARING A TEAM UNIFORM BECAUSE HE GETS PAID TO WEAR IT (no...buying the full get-up from the gift shop doesn't count), and he brings me out ON THE FIELD. I mean, if we're going to share this with everyone else, let's make it special...not a 15-second blip on the screen. Stop the game (between innings, of course). Make the national television coverage "go long" on commercials...heck, they'd probably thank us for the extra advertising dollars! Give Lidge a few extra minutes to warm up for the 9th. We need it!

9 comments:

Todd Richards said...

Dovie, this is a solid "First Blog". I was laughing the whole way through it...

heather said...

What a nightmare! I agree with every word! It is great to see this written out after all of our conversations about it and our witnessing of this "end of the 5th innning occurrance". One thing to add and make clear. This is NO longer an "original" proposal....sorry guys.

Anonymous said...

Dovie, that is hilarious. And I give a resounding AMEN!
I'm all about the quiet, romantic proposals...no need for show.

Anonymous said...

Heck, I hate baseball...well, maybe hate is too strong a word. In the low-carb world, baseball is the olive loaf of sports! (very interesting olives in a field of processed mush), so that is the Least likely place I'd propose, However, I have some friends that have put on quite a show, and it makes a great story for the grandkids. If the following happened more often, mebbe the whole FAD would stop.

http://www.uselessjunk.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1191

Anonymous said...

Proverbial Record! I love it. Funny how when I mentioned keeping a blog, Dovie was like, "Blog's are so played out!" HA! I loved the post and can't wait for the album...

Anonymous said...

If it were the World Series and your team was winning in the final game, I could see where this might actually be a cool idea. But yeah, not so much any other time, and probably not even then. Takes away from the ability to celebrate your team's victory. (For those happy Red Sox couples last year, I would make an exception).

The other one that is just crazy is the plane with the sign on the back. "Marry Me So-and-So." Now I have some friends who did that at one of their football games. Worked out and they are happily married. However, I just wonder why? Then again, ... ... ... nevermind. I'll leave that one for another time.

Todd Richards said...

Sploosh... your link triggered my company's "Internet Acceptable Use Policy" screen to come up... I will likely get fired now because of that. :-)

grinder said...

Hmm, most "kiss cams" I've seen end with the camera on two guys from the opposing team's dugout. I thought you were going to rant about that. I am now officially disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Dovie, you are hysterical. :) I love it!!