17 June 2005

that's a job opening

I sometimes think that I over-use this phrase, but maybe I don't. Recent example:

I happen to sit next to the CFO at my company (don't let yourself think that makes me anything close to that well-paid). She's fun and personable, and very attentive to details (and not just with numbers). She knows all about the 'grammar patrol', and considers herself a card-carrying member.

A few days ago, she left a letter she received from a solicitor on my desk with a note asking me if I'd like to give them any of our business.

--- And I quote: ---
Would you like to be updated quarterly on your contingent labor spend?

Do you need better contingent workforce management?

Would it be helpful for your organization, if you had migration and transition from non-core suppliers with consequent margin reduction?

If you answered yes to any of the following questions above, call me.
--- end quote ---

I'm not even going to touch the sentence structure of the 3rd question, or its effectiveness from a marketing stand-point.

What made me say "That's a job opening" is the phrase following questions above.

If you can't work out that following and above don't go together, do you REALLY expect me to trust you with updating my 'quarterly contingent labor spend'?

That error was enough for her (and for me) to consider this file 13 material. They'll never get our business. Think of all the money this lady spent on printing and postage!

You may think that's an extreme response, but I don't think so at all. If you can't take the time to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that your solicitation is ALL GOOD before sending it to countless numbers of potential clients...I'm NOT going to trust you to take care of my business needs. I'm not even going to grant you a meeting where you try and explain all your capabilities to me.

And while I'm on the subject...I'm also the girl who would throw out your resume because of a typo or spelling error. If you want me to EMPLOY you...check it, double-check it, have someone else check it, and then ask Mark Palmer to check it, and then CHECK IT AGAIN.

Somewhat of a soapbox topic for me...does this make me a mean person?

7 comments:

Me said...

If it makes you a mean person, I am just as mean! Well, I would be if I was in a position to receive resumes!

Todd Richards said...

Your above following points make perfect sense to me, Dovie :-)

I do not think it makes you a mean person. But rather, it shows that you are an educated person who expects to conduct business with other educated people. That is not mean; it is just good sense.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little dense. What exactly is the grammar faux pas in the phrase: "your contingent labor spend"?

Bert said...

Dovie -- I love your quotables!

And you're preaching to the choir here. I tend to be the grammar nazi at my company. I've caught many mistakes in marketing material lately, and that's not what I'm paid to do.

Keep up the good work!

Bert said...

I know I began a sentence with the word "And." :)

palomita said...

For the record...I wasn't noting a grammar faux pas in the phrase "your contingent labor spend'. I was trying to explain that if someone can't see the error in using the phrase "following questions above", I'm not going to trust them with calculating my "contingent labor spend".

I hope that clears up any confusion on the reason for my soapbox speech.

Anonymous said...

...and the English teacher says, "Hallelujah!!"

It is not mean, wrong, or any other negative thing. We SHOULD speak/write English properly (not necessarily like the Brits mind you). It is my job to teach students to do this, and it pains me to see that some adults still don't do what teachers have been saying FOREVER: check your work!
And by the way (I know, I know, I shouldn't start a sentence with "and"), there IS something grammatically wrong with the phrase "your contingent labor spend"...SPEND is a verb, not a noun. Perhaps the lady meant "spending"?? (unless I misread the quote...)