In response to a comment on my last post about properly aligned Sweet 'n Low packets, I submit the following:
Since I don't use Sweet 'n Low (or anything that comes in little packets like that), it's a non-issue at home. In a restaurant, as long as the packets of (any given) sweetener are safely housed within the intended container on the table, I don't care if they are perfectly arranged or not. Admittedly, I do prefer if all the like-packets are kept together (i.e. all the yellow ones are together and blue ones together, rather than a stray yellow packed mixed in with the blue ones).
Now, I do catch myself rearranging magazines at the check-out line at the grocery to be put back in their appropriate place (b/c if they're not, a 'stray' copy of the Weekly World News might be covering up the one stack of Vogue that some poor girl is looking for. This also occasionally happens at magazine racks in the bookstore.
Generally, I consider this magazine-sorting behavior to be altruistic (and not neurotic). And the sweetener packet ordering is just plain logical and proper, right?
And for the record, nothing in my pantry is properly faced, although most items do tend to be placed such that the front of the label is generally viewable as it sits...but clearly, all the spices live together in one spot, the cereal all together in another, etc. I mean, isn't everyone's pantry set up that way? Who would be crazy enough to keep cumin and dill seed in one cabinet or shelf, and have garlic salt and marjoram in another?
So, it's not about having everything in PERFECT order...just in order.
But if you still wonder...check out this cartoon and then tell me I'm neurotic!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
wow. and I thought that you just did the packets for yourself. I didn't realize that it was the sun telling you to do all that stuff. That must be really hard to handle. How are you dealing with it? Do you have a support group? I think that there is a "mild case of compulsive disorder with a pinch of obsessive behavior support group" back in Houston. Maybe they have one where you live. And have you fed the cat?
You are starting to sound like quite the Brit...
And I am with you 100% on all points, Dovie. Sweetner packets should be segregated... magazines should be properly shelved... and pantry items should know their place.
I do the same, but also with newspapers and DVDs, as well as pushing empty chairs in, that arent under the table...
I do all those things. And I am completely normal. Seriously.
How do I sound like a Brit? I don't see it!
all ya'll (or is it y'all?) sound crazy to me.
well, I've got to go wash my hands again...
SERIOUSLY?? It's ALWAYS y'all...it's NEVER anything else.
Now Dennis, be gentle on the handwashing...if you wash them down to nubs you really will be an underemployed doctor!
I am not sure what it is... just some words you use... it was in no way meant to be a criticism. Your writing just sounds... well, like you live in England. I like it, actually.
JUST LISTEN TO HER!
"How, I do sound like a Brit!"
Who starts a statement with "how" ...Freakin' Marry Poppins, that's who!
Dovlett, I've mentioned your acent before and you need to end this denial. Thank goodness, Toddy showed you the truth.
Several comments. First of all, Laurie is not normal so please don't gauge yourself based on the fact that she does those things. :)
(for example, our house, which is almost always clean and picked up, had a coffee mug and a lunch dish on the coffee table and Laurie walked in and thought to herself what a mess the room was. please.)
Second, I'm all about having the sugar packets in the right order and pantry items facing out (how annoying to turn them around to find what you need!). But organizing the magazine rack at the store? hmmm.
Post a Comment