28 November 2005

turkey day in the UK



Mmmm...pizza and red wine. Now doesn't that just SCREAM Thanksgiving to you? Well, it did to me.

Thanksgiving here is 'just another day' (because although the Pilgrims actually were English, England doesn't claim them, given how things turned out about 150 years after the first Thanksgiving).

So, when what was originally a double-booked night on my calendar turned into two cancellations, I carted myself off to the store to buy 'Thanksgiving Dinner', instead of doing what I technically probably should have done (go to the gym and cook dinner), and this is what came home with me. So compared to what I would have done on most any other night in merry old England, this was a blessed holiday!

In retrospect, I should have chosen a Napa or even Texas wine, given the event to which I was drinking. However, being that I didn't really think things through, since my Thanksgiving celebration was quite unexpected, I ended up with a Spanish Rioja. It was lovely.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The favorite wine of the American Revolution would've been Madeira, largely for tax reasons.

BTW, what variety and type of Rioja was it?

The Doctor said...

so they have a day to celebrate having two keys there? I wish i could get by with just 2keys. I'd celebrate that for sure.

mmmm. rioja. 'nuff said.

palomita said...

er...i don't know what you're talking about, dennis...i mean, being a badge-carrying member of the grammar patrol, i would *never* make a slip like missing the "r" in tuRkey...

meep!

Steven and Amanda said...

I was in London on July 4th in 1992 working at Harrod's. In fact, I was fired from my job on that day. (For the record, it was due to across-to-board layoffs in response to sluggish sales.) I told my boss that that was OK with me since, as a "colonist" (as he called me), I should have had that day as a holiday anyway. It was a Saturday so I enjoyed the weekend and then went into the office on Monday and demanded my job back. (My argument? I did not fly around the world to be fired.) I got my job back ... but in a different department. They put me in towels. #$%&@ redcoats.