08 March 2006

top 5 things people are/have/leave: #3

Today's topic: Thankfulness

thankful (adj.)
  1. Aware and appreciative of a benefit; grateful.
  2. Expressive of gratitude: a thankful smile.

Now, this might seem a trite quality, put next to the humility and diplomacy I've been talking about over the last two days. However, I think it is vitally important!

Obviously, the key here is to EXPRESS our gratitude. To FEEL thankful is not necessarily to BE thankful. When people express their gratitude, it breaks down walls (whether they be between strangers or friends or even family members), it opens up communication. Thankfulness builds relationship.

If I'm thankful only in my heart, the person who washed my coffee cup at the office will never know...and I may have stifled all sorts of unrealized possibilities for that relationship. Maybe she will think I'm assumptive, and decide to wash it again to see if I just missed her gesture, or if I'm really that much of a snob. And then, when I keep my thankful feeling to myself, I have confirmed her suspicion. Now she'll never wash my coffee cup again, and that relationship is (possibly) in a questionable state. Well, maybe I didn't know who washed my cup. Sure. That's fair, but I can chat it up in the kitchen with others..."Somebody keeps washing my coffee cup for me...that is just so nice!" and possibly the do-gooder will come forward or be named by someone else, and can then be properly thanked. That means a lot to people. More than they even realize, I'd bet.

This may seem like a ridiculous example, but I don't think so. I believe it's all about the details...the little things in life really do matter. And I'm sure we can all apply the same idea to all sorts of other daily situations.

Incidentally, I find that my joy or delight over something isn't really complete until it's been expressed...another major argument for getting that thankfulness out there!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On a somewhat related note, why is it that we are hesistant to give compliments? (or maybe it's just me?) This week I passed up an opportunity to tell the grocery checker that she had beautiful eyes, but I didn't. And I think the only reason was that a) I didn't want to embarrass her or me, and b) I didn't REALLY want to engage in conversation with her. And either way, that's just terrible!

The Doctor said...

thanks for these great posts, Dovie, and for being open about what you think is most important. That's cool.

Today I am thankful for sunshine, which I haven't seen much of in the past two weeks. But then, I should tell God that, but I wanted to share that with you guys too.

so many things in the Bible about having a grateful/thankful heart...

Laurie said...

Dovie,
This is a really great post. Thanks for giving me something to think about. :)
Keep 'em coming girl!