29 October 2008

breakfast time stream of consciousness ramble

Bread in my cupboard (which begins life as soft and chewy) becomes hard and crunchy when it's getting old. This is why I keep my bread in the freezer.

The lovely crackers I got at Central Market over the weekend (which, conversely, began life as hard and crunchy) will become soft and chewy if they last long enough.

How does food know which way it's supposed to go when it's "going bad"?

And if some things are going to end up hard and crunchy (and others soft and chewy), why can't it just be the stuff that started out that way?!

Doesn't my food know a single girl can't go through that many carbs in one week?! I blame the packaging industry...somehow I'm SURE it's their fault. They give me too much in one go.

I want half-sized loaves of bread so I don't have to only ever use the "frozen toast" setting on my toaster...and so I can leave my bread in the pantry and have nice chewy sandwiches like God intended.

See...this is what happens when I think too much before finishing my first travel mug of Lola Savannah Texas Pecan.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

For the (proverbial) record, Oroweat now sells a mini loaf. It's the perfect size for us single girls. I particularly enjoy the Double Fiber variety, as it's extra soft and flavorful.

Anonymous said...

She blogs! Welcome back. :) I hear ya on the bread. I've always kept mine in the fridge to help it last, a habit a carried over into marriage until my husband revolted against cold, hard bread. Now as for crackers, the FF Saltines come home hard and stale and stay that way for months. ;)