They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I'm counting on that!
Of course, They also say "out of sight; out of mind" (about which I hope They are wrong). "They" say lots of things that are obscure, ridiculous, or down right contradictory.
They're also pretty nice sometimes. A few weeks ago, during a Round Rock Express (Astros minor league team) game, one of the guys hit a home run, and a fan in our section stood up and started collecting money from the rest of us. My friends and I were confused (and didn't readily make the connection between home-run-hit and hat-collection). The guys in front of us then explained: "They say that since minor leaguers don't make much money, when they hit a home run, the fans take up a hat collection and give all the cash to the home-run-hitter." Isn't that kind?
I wonder if we'd have done a hat collection that night if They hadn't told us about the sad state of minor league baseball salaries? Or, rather, if They hadn't told someone, who told someone else, who told the guy who started the hat collection? See...that's the biggest problem with it all...by the time you hear what They say, it's so far removed, you can never get back to them to ask real questions (and believe you me, I have questions).
One of them is this: Do They even know they're "They"? I submit that They do NOT. Who knows who they are? See...if I could just figure out who Who is...I'll be getting somewhere.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Here's the skinny on minor league salaries from http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/info/faq.jsp:
Minor League Baseball player contracts are handled by the Major League Baseball office. Here are the salary ranges:
First contract season: $850/month maximum. After that, open to negotiation
Alien Salary Rates: Different for aliens on visas--mandated by INS (Immigration).
Triple-A--First year: $2,150/month, after first year no less than $2,150/month
Class AA-First year: $1,500/month, after first year no less than $1,500/month
Class A (full season)--First year: $1,050/month, after first year no less than $1,050/month
Class A (short-season)--First year: $850/month, after first year no less than $850/month
Dominican & Venezuelan Summer Leagues--no lower than $300/month
Meal Money: $20 per day at all levels, while on the road
“They” say that Americans should get the same amount of vacation as Europeans. No, wait, that was me. :) So, Dovie, once you’ve spent your time in the UK, see if you can bring their vacation policy back with you to the States (assuming you don’t meet a nice Mr. Mac-something while you’re there)...
I don't want the same amount of vacation time as the Europeans (or the British, who for the most part still don't consider themselves European, despite this whole EU thing), if it means I'd get paid an equivalent salary.
I'll also take my nice medical benefits over a single payer system any day of the week (including today, when I'm seeing a specialist where my initial consult was less than a week after making the appointment. I'd have waited months if I were relying on something akin to National Health).
So, Dovie, if you can swing the vacation benefits, fine, but leave the rest of the welfare state on the other side of the pond, thanks. And if you can do something about getting rid of what we've already adopted (social security, etc.), let me know.
We better ask Kristen to bring back the benefits. Australia gives you thirteen weeks off once you've been at a company for ten years, then adds an additional week for each year after that.
There's more, but I'd like to keep you (my friends) here.
Excellent point, Mike. In addition, I had five weeks off when I worked for Deloitte. However, I never got to take all of it. I even had them take away vacation that I had planned far in advance. So unless you just bring the whole European mindset over (not just the vacation time), you really don't get anywhere. :-(
Also, good point, Mike.
So with all that said, do we know who Who is?
I like the obvious connection between Dovie's question and the baseball anecdote....Who's on First? Or rather, the statement: Who's on First. Maybe just a clue about who Who is.
Just for the record, that was one of the best conversations I had had in a long time...we had those fans rolling on the ground while at the same time cracking each other up!
I think They also said that Lance Berkman would be back in the Astros line-up the following week after that game, and They were correct. I wonder Who told us that?
This was a good one!
Post a Comment