05 August 2005

oh, the anticipation!

This Sunday, I'll be attending All Souls Church in London with my boss and his wife, and we'll be sitting under the preaching of John Stott.

This is very exciting to me for two reasons:

  1. I'm going to church with my boss and his wife! How many people have the opportunity to do that these days?

  2. I'm going to be hearing John Stott...live!


Some may say "What's the big deal?". Well...I'll tell you. Several years ago, when God was growing in me a desire to learn more about Him, I was feeling very overwhelmed and was paralyzed by lack of a clear starting place.

A very good friend (Jay Bruce) was living in London at the time, working at All Souls. I asked Jay for some advice, and he mentioned it to Stott during one of their meetings. Mr. Stott recommended a book from his own shelf, called Understanding the Bible, which he gave to Jay for delivery to me. This book became instrumental in creating a framework for understanding the major themes and movements of God throughout Scripture, and it is one I often recommend and refer back to myself.

John Stott is one of my heroes. He's the rector emeritus* at All Souls, and doesn't preach regularly these days, but I'm going to get to hear him preach in two days.


* Retired but retaining an honorary title corresponding to that held immediately before retirement.

1 comment:

Todd Richards said...

Having heard this background information in the past... I join you in your excitement, Dovie.. AND having read Stott's daily email many times... I am envious that I am not able to attend with you.