05 February 2006

multiple personalities

There are jingles of personality tests and profiles out there, but one that seems to be well developed and widely used is the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). In this profile, your personal tendencies are measured along 4 different continua:

Extrovert (E) - - - - - Introvert (I)
Intuitive (N) - - - - - - Sensory (S)
Thinking (T) - - - - - Feeling (F)
Judging (J) - - - - - - Perceiving (P)

The 'results' of the MBTI are a 4-letter profile, which indicates where you TEND to fall on each continuum. Nobody is a robot...so even the most extreme T can do something that would be very F at times. But it can be helpful to know how any one person would typically respond in a given situation or to any given task at hand. For example, a job that would be BLISSFUL to an NT might be TORTUROUS for an SF.

So, who knows their MBTI?

And who thinks it's a load of hogwash?? (There are some folks who I find resistant to the thinking that this sort of thing is worth the time of day...so stand up and be heard!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love taking these tests!

i'm an ENTJ (44% E, 50% I, 12% T and 67% J) and i find it fairly accurate, especially the part where it says that i "may unleash an icy gaze that serves notice: the ENTJ is not one to be trifled with." yeah, i do that sometimes and i like to call it the death look. there's some stuff i don't necessarily see as being entirely accurate, but for the most part, its right on.

i also took the "smiles" quiz that you link to - i got 17/20! that's right, that means i can tell if people are really laughing at my jokes or if its a courtesy laugh...and if its a courtesy laugh, you'll get the icy gaze/death look!

The Doctor said...

I've got your four-letter-profile right here...
jk.
I too am an "ENTJ." How very interesting. I certainly don't have the percentages handy, as that would mean taking the quiz yet again, but I'm roughly 65%E, 65% N, 90% T, and 70% J.

I have the cool twist though, I can unleash the icy glare with one eyebrow slightly raised. Can you do that, Dovie? Oh, right. Sorry to bring up a sore point. OKay maybe I'm not. heh.

palomita said...

You use that eyebrow trick on lots of looks, but my favorite usage is what I'll call the 'confused and intrigued' look.

No sore point for me...really...I'm not the least bit jealous that I'm not in the eyebrow club. Really. Promise. Cross my heart, etc.

Laurie said...

ESFJ all the way and lovin' it!

Me said...

ESTJ last time I did the test (about a year ago). I had never thought about the T that way . . . well, at least I'm in good company with you!

Todd Richards said...

ESFJ... I have read that we are the "backbone of society."

I have eased up on the F lately, though.. becoming more of a T. I am OK with this, actually. The E, S, and J are pretty fixed.

I love this stuff...

heather said...

I am also ESFJ...very strong S and J (like 100%) and borderline E and F. I guess being a professional planner/scheduler is a good job for me!

The Doctor said...

Just wait until i find an "emoticon" that can raise one eyebrow... that will be cool...

Anonymous said...

I am a CTMB(with V tendancies). I have been known to R but with my love for folk and world there's obviously a stong C. I can't imagine myself ever being a B, but...and this is a big but (--mosfdw--) ...in today's janitorially run world, occasionaaly we all can't be T's in Public Places. No doubt that W's are going to hell, I think the 99% score is just a refelction of how far the MAN can reach. Yea I thought I was all B and it turns out I'm not as obsolete as I thought. Although I do like to be in the snobbish minorty. Beat will B Back!
I know this test may be a little dated, but I like the old school tests. Now where is my number 2 pencil!?!

RockN'Roll (R)---60-Country(C)
TopRoller (T)-87----Bottom Roller(T)
Windows (W)------99Macintosh(M)
VHS (V) ----51-----Betamax(B)