So, I have a few guy friends who I who I would put in the category of "UBERsmart" (either in various or highly technical topics). I'm in a constant competition to 'beat them' at something...I mean, it's just SO gratifying to actually KNOW something they don't, or catch them in a rare 'brain fog' storm. I don't think they know that I'm always looking for a chance to be right about something. It's not really that I WANT them to be wrong, per se...it's just that I enjoy the feeling of being right once in a blue moon. Surely that makes sense to someone out there!
A few weeks ago, I was hanging out with one of these guys recently (he's a doctor...pretty smart guy), and somehow I managed to beat him in a bit of MEDICAL trivia. Let me just say that it was a EUPHORIC moment...and I still enjoy it. Unfortunately, the only possible witness of this event would be one of the Starbucks baristas, but I don't think they were paying attention to us.
Last week, two more of the aforementioned guys were visiting me in London (along with my best friend, so this time I had a witness)...and some similar situation occurred, and in the midst of my selfish and verbal enjoyment...I blurted out something like "SPEAKING of me being right..." which I planned to immediately follow up with the story above...but that's about as far as I got, because we all absolutely LOST IT laughing about how utterly arrogant it sounded!
Truly, I was just trying to bask in my few joys in that area...but honestly, I really sounded like the biggest snob in the known universe! For the rest of the week, anytime any one of us wanted a good laugh, we just blurted out "SPEAKING of me being right..." and we were all done for.
In case anyone's wondering...this is one of the episodes BOTSO is talking about on his recent post. I can't remember most of the others...but they were similarly funny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I don't know if I've ever come that close to wetting myself that many times in one night ... ever.
One quick point of further explaination. If I remember correctly, we weren't speaking about anything at all when the "speaking of" comment snuck out.
Right there, out of the blue it happened and I will forever be grateful.
ah, dovie, look no further for someone who understands. you are reading a comment written by a person who considers beating 3 lawyers and an engineer at trivial pursuit when she was 21 one of the highlights of her life.
i completely understand.
I have no idea what you are talking about...
oh wait, there it is, deeply hidden in the memories between the time when I wet myself in kindergarten and when my so-called best-friend told the whole class that I had a crush on the cute girl. Found it- did I say 256 bones? Oops! 206 is quite right (unless someone had a really nasty accident).
enjoy your revelry
Dovie, this is awesome! I can completely relate...and I can even relate to your "speaking of me being right" comment! So basically, I'm as shady as you. ;)
Good job on beating the good Doctor...impressive.
I think you should have pressed him... this reminds me of the Friends episode where Ross has to name all 50 states.
Post a Comment