07 March 2006

top 5 things people are/have/leave: #2

Today's topic: humility

humility (n) - a disposition to be humble; a lack of false pride.

humble (adj) -
  1. Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.
  2. Showing deferential or submissive respect: a humble apology.
  3. Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly: a humble cottage.

"I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker." -Helen Keller

(Now, there's a great advertisement for pursuing excellence in everything we do...for "working as unto the Lord" as Paul says.)

The reason a humble spirit is so striking is because it takes effort to achieve it...it's not a natural state for the human condition. To truly put off pride also requires that we embrace, or put on humility.

I love the way Spurgeon says it...he defined humility as, "(making) a right estimate of one’s self." And let's be honest, shall we? If it weren't for God's involvement in my life, I'd NEVER have a right estimate of myself!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to make a right estimate of self? How do we know what is right?

The Doctor said...

prolly better not to even worry about making a self-estimate, lest one become of the opinion that he has reason to feel proud.
I would love to be so humble as to think that I am not humble enough, as I often compare myself and my own version of humility to other people instead of the standard, Jesus, who humbled himself much more than I ever could.

palomita said...

Well, I can't be sure of the sentiment with which Spurgeon wrote those words, but this is what I gather from it:

Esteem yourself just as God does, as is abundantly described in Scripture. Whether it should be a purposeful aim (i.e. should we actively work to become humble?) or not could be debated, but I think it's clear that it is something we are directed to seek. And sure, there's the danger of thinking we are when we're not...but if we truly see ourselves in the light of how God sees us, I think it puts us in the right frame of mind.

Specifically: we are dirt...redeemed dirt. We are LOVED dirt...and we have an indescribable inheritance. Therefore, we should be thankful and humble dirt, but joy in our adoption by God.

Anonymous said...

botso... was it really necessary to point that out? perhaps you need to read the post again

palomita said...

Actually...botso is right. I mis-quoted and wrote "...a great and might tasks", and the quote should have read "great and mighty tasks".