11 April 2006

parking garage mores

Normally, I drive to the gym. This is mostly due to realizing that I seem to be particularly susceptible to weather-related colds and such. In the winter months, even the 10 minute walk home is like running the gauntlet of poor health (especially when I’ve just spent the last hour or so working up a pretty good ‘glisten’).

On Sunday afternoon, when I went down to the basement to hop in the car and point it in the direction of Peak Fitness, I was greeted with a fairly annoying sight – my neighbour, who lives in flat #44, had blocked me in (#45) with his car! See Figure 1.

Free Image Hosting

The first thing I thought of (no, it wasn’t to key his car!) was to wait around and see how long it took for him to come back and have a little chat with him about parking garage mores. But, after 2 minutes of waiting, I thought, “Forget this. It's nice out today...I’m going to walk to the gym,” so off I went, and 12 minutes later was happily installed on my favorite treadmill.

A little over an hour later, I emerged from the gym to POURING DOWN RAIN. So there really is something to that whole “April Showers…” thing. Lovely.

After waiting around for 5 minutes, I thought “Forget this…I’ll just jog to the train station, walk through the subway, and jog the rest of the way home. It will be over in less than 10 minutes.” And so it went. Only, once I emerged from the pedestrian subway on the other side of the train station, I realized it was now SLEET that I was being pelted with as I scurried home. Seriously! And it’s APRIL!

The next time Mr. 44 blocks me in…it’s going to get ugly.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now "what in the world on earth" would possess said neighbor to pull such a stunt? I would have had to make a trip to said neighbors front door and escort neighbor back to the car stuck in the middle of the drive.
Of course that is just me!! :)
Mom

Anonymous said...

What a bonehead. I had a chuckle because I was just about to email you and see if the weather was starting to warm up yet......question answered!!

Anonymous said...

great job on Figure 1.. your use of visuals really helped!

Todd Richards said...

Is it wrong that this makes me laugh... I just hope you don't catch a cold. If you do, be sure to hack up some nice stuff onto #44's car door.

And I especially like that you numbered all the figures in this blog... I might have lost track had you not. :-)

palomita said...

Well, apparantly Mr. 44 pulled the car out to get his motorcycle out of the parking bay (you can't tell by my rendition in Figure 1, but there's PLENTY of room in these spaces to park one against the wall at the front of each park), but...what did he do, just leave the car in the middle of the drive while he was out giving someone a joy ride???

I think I'm going to chat with Mr. 50 and see if he's had any little annoying episodes with Mr. 44 so we can team up for future episodes of insanity.

The Doctor said...

Just stay away from Mr. Pink and Mr. White. They're trouble...

Todd Richards said...

Mr. Blonde will "talk" your ear off if you aren't careful.