23 October 2006

evidence that i don't hate musicals

Free Image Hosting
Despite claiming that I'm not really into musicals (categorically speaking), I freely admit to LOVING this show, which I've now seen twice in London. About a year ago, it was the first show I saw in the West End since moving here. In that performance, Linda Carter played the role of Mamma Morton. To say that her performance was sub-optimal is to be kind.

For the record, Wonder Woman's appearance was not the draw of the show for me.

The second viewing came this weekend. This time around, I was actually lured in by the hope of a better portrayal of Mamma Morton and by the fact that Ashlee Simpson (yes, sister of Jessica) was to be playing the role of Roxie Hart. Good move, I say. After that lip-syncing debacle on SNL, surely a stint in live theatre will prove she's got decent vocal skills.

Ashlee's first number wasn't stellar, but she warmed up over the course of the show, and by the end, I have to admit that I was impressed with her performance. Of course, going in with zero expectations probably helped - the only direction to move was up.

I did have to giggle a bit when, during one of her numbers she had to sing “…they’re gonna recognize…my nose…” I think a tiny audible escaped my lips, but it couldn’t be helped.

Sadly, the second attempt at Mamma Morton wasn't as much of an improvement as I'd hoped it would be. But let's be honest...who's EVER going to top Queen Latifah?

4 comments:

palomita said...

Umm...did you miss that big CHICAGO picture at the very top of the entry?? I mean, it was there ALL THE TIME...really, it was.

meep.

The Doctor said...

yeah, uh, because none of us guys would have known Mama what's-her-name anyway...
(we all knew WW though...Is that the themesong running in my head?)

palomita said...

Sure it was. Promise. Cross my heart...girl scout's honor...etc.

Todd Richards said...

As I was reading this, I thought to myself, "Mamma Morton will always be Queen Latifah in my mind... no one can possibly play it better." Then I got to the end, and well... clearly you agree.