12 November 2007

global poverty week

Thanks to Jonah for raising my awareness about Tearfund's Prayer Week.

There's a different focus each day this week. Get involved!

Sure, there are a million things that already beg for our attention in prayer, but that will always be the case.

Much like my attention was drawn to service men and women on Sunday when we had a special prayer focus (it was Remembrance Day in the UK, essentially the same thing as the our Veterans Day in the States) at the close of the service...Tearfund's one-week focus on global poverty brings the awareness of those prayer needs to the front of my mind, even if only for a short while...until either God grows a passion for those ills of society into my heart permanently or He shifts my focus to another prayer need (and then grows a passion in my heart for one of those), and I'll pray for global poverty again the next time God uses something like Tearfund or someone like Jonah to bring it to my attention again.

I hope that doesn't sound heartless. It's meant to be an honest confession that there are always more things that need prayer than I stop to give attention to...because I'm so self-centered and busy that when I DO stop to pray, it's usually about me, and then I quickly move on to something else. What a crying shame.

No comments: