16 April 2008

happy birthday, mom!


My mom turns 65 today. That's just crazy...because she's not old enough to be a "senior citizen". I wonder if this means she's old enough to drink coffee with her meals yet? I'm not. And now that I'm in my 30s, I think i qualify as a legitimate adult...so the only milestone i can see from here is senior citizenship. I digress...

To many she is known as "Moms", because she claims many kids scattered about the globe. And although she is very good at loving them all, I know I'm her favorite.

And she's my favorite too. I love her in all her quirks, country ways, bizarre sayings and various imperfections. When I was younger, I think I saw my family through rose-colored glasses and completely missed all the imperfections. As I've grown up, the rose colored glasses have come off bit by bit over the years...sometimes not so much to my delight (because we all want the picture-perfect family, don't we?).

However, I've realized that over the years my love for my family has grown into the closest thing I can imagine to true Christ-like love.

Because I love my mom for who she is. Not for what she does for me or what she can give me. I love her despite her imperfections. And although I always want to help her see them and change for the better (sometimes gently sometimes abruptly)...because as I've grown up she's become my friend as well...even though she'll always be my mom first and foremost. But I love her anyway, even if she never changes a bit.

And I love her more than words can express. Which makes me feel silly for even trying. I could write pages and pages and still not quite feel like I've done it justice. But I can't not try.

I love you, mom. I hope you have the best birthday ever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you my precious for my birthday call and wishes.
Even though Micha, Catha, Brandi and Bas think they are each my favorite and they all know I love them dearly YOU my darling little girl are and will always be my FAVORITE. I am so thankful and grateful to God for the woman you have become. You are the most beautiful woman I know both inside and out. God's favor shows all around you and I am thankful for that also.
Thank you for your sweet words and yes you are my best friend in all the world.
I love you with all my heart and pray that God will leave me with you for many years to come.
Mom
PS: My flowers just came and they are soooooooooooo beautiful and smell wonderful.
Thanks to you and your Dad.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated B- day Mom - Your Californian family loves you greatly

Hugs & Kisses

Steff, Danny, and Daniel