All day long, people have said to me "You're the first person I thought of this morning when I heard about the bombings in London today". That statement has mostly been followed by something like "How are you feeling about going now?" or or "Are you scared to go now?" or even "Are you still going to go?"
Yes. I'm going. No, I'm not scared. And here's why:
I believe in the Sovereignty and Providence of God. And Providence is not the sort of thing you get to believe in sometimes and not others...God is either Sovereign in His Providence, or He is not. It is all I have to stand on, but it is the firmest foundation I will ever know.
Because men much more wise than I could ever dream of being have explained this much better than I ever could, by way of elaboration, I give you the following:
In this essay on Providence and human action, John Calvin writes, from Psalm 23:1-4,6:
--- begin quote ---
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. The faithful who dwell safely under God's hand are nevertheless exposed to many perils. David compares God's care in guiding the faithful to the shepherd's rod and staff. When a sheep is walking in a dark valley, only the shepherd's presence keeps it safe from the attacks of wild beasts or from other accidents. David was not boasting of his own fearlessness; but was rather saying that he would walk boldly wherever his shepherd led him. And now that God reveals himself to us in the person of his only-begotten Son, as our Shepherd, more brightly than he did of old to the fathers under the law, we do not honor his protection properly unless we keep our eyes fixed upon it and by so doing trample upon all our trepidations."
--- end quote ---
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the concern behind the questions. Here I mean only to explain why I walk with confidence. I'm not crazy...it's just that I know whom I have believed in...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
C'mon, you aren't just a bit scared...I mean the whole country speaks a whole different language...they're probably still pissed about that whole Revolution thingy...they wear TROUSERS...they eat congeeled (sp) blood for breakfast...two werds, "Social" and "Ism"...they make you carry more pounds...they end words with "re" "ise" & "chestershire"!!! garxh, I'm scared for you... ; )
In this world you will have trouble, but take comfort for Jesus has overcome this world. See you soon. Probably with some guy in a plaid skirt and a thick accent...
Post a Comment