26 February 2006

who tears up over WORK?

Last week was rough. In a good way. We had a new employee start as our admin/receptionist…and it’s been a while since I had this kind of support, or someone to look after, so it’s taking a bit of adjustment to make sure she has enough to do, understands what needs to be done, etc.

In addition to that, we had a ‘team-building’ meeting on Thursday/Friday. I’ll spare you the details, but will just say that it was VERY important to me that it go well and that everyone there walked away feeling like they had invested the time there rather than spent it. Turns out…it DID go really well, and I think many of our folks were surprised by how it came together.

As things were winding down, the meeting facilitator asked us all to share something positive that we are each taking away from the meeting…and EVERYONE had really sincere and meaningful positive feedback to give. Then, as our leader was making some closing comments, he said “I think that in six months, we’ll be able to look back on this meeting and say it was a pivotal moment for this team.” That was all it took.

It was all I could do to keep the tears from slipping down my cheeks! I’m not sure why it strikes me as odd that I’m so passionate about my job. I guess I get concerned that it might become my ‘idol’ or the place where I find my significance…but I really don’t think it is. And here’s why: I’d drop it ALL in a HEARTBEAT for the whole “husband, kids, white picket fence” thing…and I share the dream of chucking it all for seminary with a few very good friends, but that’s not where God has me right now.

So, since I believe that I should pursue whatever path God sets me on with passion…I have a deep passion for my job. I think it’s a special company, and I know God put me there (believe me, that’s a whole story in and of itself), and I feel like I’m getting a unique opportunity to play a part in a MAJOR change as it grows from a home-town success to a multi-national competitor in the market. This is SO not who I would have thought God chose me to be…even if it is only for a season.

Now, I’m sure most of the people reading this don’t tear up over their jobs…especially the guys…but I’m sure everyone has a story about unexpected passion that you KNOW God has planted in your heart for something ‘non-spiritual’.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing non-spiritual that involves people.

The Doctor said...

I agree with Mike.

Also, nothing wrong with having passion for something and enjoying the fruits of the labor. That said, it is normal to have a few tears when all the work you've done is recognized as excellent and "pivotal." Although in my job, I don't really want to revel too long with the fruits of labor (ewww!)...

BTW- Some guys do shed tears in the workplace- we just know well how to keep it a secret from others.

Dustin said...

I agree with all the above comments. Notice Jesus chose the fishermen (businessmen) to be his disciples, not the kids that were studying to be rabbi (seminary students). I don't think one should be obsessed with their job (and for the record, I don't think that you are) but I think there is a lot to be said about being passionate about it.

I think it's great that you're in a place that you love, doing work that you are passionate about, and surrounding yourself with peeps. I think there's more glory for peeps like you than those of us who preach...

Keep on keepin on Dove!!!

palomita said...

Just for clarity...it wasn't about me being recognized, it was about the team really "getting it" and coming together as a group. In this particular situation, that was infintely more important than anything about me.