09 June 2006

reason # 27 to take voice lessons

I'm so jealous of Steven.

First, because he's a faster on-your-feet thinker than I am (I would have just blushed at being told my "singing was enough", and never thought to ask for a freebie until the opportunity had passed).

Second, because he actually DID get a freebie...just for singing!

It reminds me of some college friends who used to go to a music festival every summer, and they instituted a "sing for a pancake" breakfast at their campsite. By the 3rd year, they were taking LOTS of extra pancake-making-stuff with them, because they would actually have people LINING UP at their campsite, waiting to sing a tune for a free flapjack. Some people were actually GOOD.

I never sang, primarily because the sing-for-a-pancake breakfast was instituted after the summers I went to the festival (if any C-Stone pancake breakfast peeps are reading, correct me if I'm getting any bits of the story wrong). But if we're honest (and that's what we try to be around these parts), it's because I'm confident I have a horrific singing voice and would NEVER sing a solo in PUBLIC.

I'm sure this is something that can be helped (not necessarily cured) by voice lessons...which is one of the things on my 99-things-to-do-before-I-die list.

ALL THAT to say...you go with your bad free-cigar-getting-singer self, Steven. I salute you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First, if you don't get this taken care of while you're living in England, I know a guy here in the Houston area who can set you right on up with a singing voice you'll be proud of.

Secondly, the sing for a pancake thing reminds me of a Theme Party my roommates and I threw once. In order to get into the party, you had to sing the first verse of a theme from a TV show or movie. We kept tabs on which songs had been used before, so if yours had already been used, you had to pick another...folks that perennialy show up late to parties had to be pretty creative...