23 August 2006

don't use your brain

I think this is what the TSA folks tell all their bag-checkers at the airports. I mean, if they were to let people judge for themselves what is safe and what isn't safe to carry on a plane...they might let the wrong person through the line. That's the only way I can reconcile what happened to me on Sunday.

I flew back to the UK from Houston on Sunday night. I dutifully checked online to see what I was now allowed to carry on the aircraft, and it looked like there was nothing in my purse that would be considered contraband. Yay!

I made it through the first security screening without any problems. I did a little shopping and got to the gate with a new book ("This is NOT Chick Lit", more on that after I've actually read it) and a few magazines to enjoy.

When they called our flight for boarding, I passed through the gate and into the hallway leading to the plane...and here's where things went dreadfully wrong.

I saw that we were being put through a secondary security screening after the gate...no problem. I'm a happily compliant traveler. I waited to be called forward, and AS I WAS STEPPING UP TO THE TABLE I hear one of the TSA staff members say "If we haven't called you to the side, please keep moving forward". I immdiately think "Grr...I wouldn't have to wait for this if I'd been here the last time he said that", but in reality I don't mind...I've got nothing to hide.

Then the guy searching my purse says, "Oh...I can't let you take this with you" and pulls out a small almost-empty tube of lip gloss. BLAST! Then he spots the replacement tube for the soon-to-be-discarded one..."Oh...not this one either"...rummage...rummage...then, "What's this one?" My reply: "Well, it's not lip gloss, but it's not a solid lipstick either." TSA guy: "Oh, sorry...that one's out too."

Walking away, I'm thinking "DAMMIT...I just lost at least $25 worth of lip stuff because I didn't hear or realize they were only doing spot checks at the gate!"

Normally, this wouldn't irritate me that much, because, well...maybe I didn't read Continental's website closely enough...and maybe it still says (or implies) that lip gloss isn't ok. So...I decided about 2 minutes after the lip-stuff-confiscation that I was over it.

BUT...somewhere along the way on the flight, I reached into my purse to get my pen (oh, yes...to fill out my landing card) and what did I find? Are you ready for it?

  • one remaining tube of lip gloss
  • one pointed-tip metal fingernail file
SO many more thoughts on the subject...but I'll just end with this:

SERIOUSLY????

5 comments:

Ulovebeth said...

I flew several times with a large Swiss Army knife. I didn't realize I had it in my purse. I decided just to leave it because if I flew with it, I'm sure I could make it back. I did.
I don't know what kind of MacGyver weapon you were going to make with lipgloss and a file, but TSA knows.
On my flight this weekend, all I could think of was my need for lipgloss. I never knew it was so dangerous.

Erin said...

My favorite line to overhear on a flight: "Um, excuse me, ma'am (to the flight attendant)... I would like for you, or someone, to explain to me why my corkscrew was confiscated at security, but the woman behind me is knitting with 10-inch knitting needles??" I bet that knitting woman had lip gloss in her purse too....

Todd Richards said...

I feel so safe for my upcoming flight to California....

The Doctor said...

Continental's site may have some info, but the lip gloss and all the other stuff (dynamite, guns, knives, flame throwers, nail files) are all listed at the TSA website. Sorry you lost the stuff though.

And by the way, I just realized that the REI Waterproof "strike anywhere" matches that I have been traveling with heretofore are also quite frowned upon. Oh well- they weren't that good anyway.

Anonymous said...

Can't you just picture this as a Seinfeld with Kramer and his midget friend as temporary security agents. Somehow, they would stop air travel all over the world. It's true.