Although I was still a bit skeptical at intermission (no, not even cautiously optimistic)...in the end I really enjoyed the show. I think my skepticism was more related to a generally bad mood thanks to a ridiculously drama-filled week (many thanks to BT). It sucks to be pre-mad or pre-irritated, so I'm glad Scarlett Strallen and Gavin Creel wore me down during the second act with their excellent portrayals of the beloved and iconic characters of Mary Poppins and Bert.
I've been alternating between singing (yes, out loud) "Steppin' Time" and the title track ever since I left the theater last night.
2 comments:
after spending 6 weeks working in Nigeria (in 1997) I watched Mary Poppins on a VCR in Lagos. Just hearing people speak English in a way that didn't bruise my ears made me cry!
But then, seeing chimney sweeps doing spins and other dancy things might make any man cry too...
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Believe it or not, I actually spelled that almost correctly by memory. I missed one "i". Always have been the precocious one. Which, by the way, I also misspelled the first time around.
Just got back from seeing Journey and Def Leppard at the Hollywood Bowl. All I have to say is "Don't stop believing."
Post a Comment