25 October 2006

soy milk is not for me

So I'm reading this book called "Eat Right for Your Type", which is mostly about how the foods you eat are processed differently by your body based on your blood type (A, B, AB or O). It postulates that some things that are GREAT for Type Bs are almost poisonous for Type As and so on. So it naturally includes some recommendations for the types of things you should and should not eat (and drink) for the various types. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm Type A, and the author reckons that my kind tend to do well on vegetarian diets (um, but I'm from Texas!) and recommends limited dairy intake (doesn't this guy know that fat = flavor?). OK...I can get my protein from black bean soup and other non-fajita sources. And I can give up brie and focus my cheese-loving self on the goat variety (which is thankfully allowed). Sure. I'm convinced I can do this.

One of the author's recommendations: for cereal and latte lovers like me...soy milk. Right then. Now, I DO like steamed soy beans (i.e. in their original natural state), but historically I'm generally opposed to consuming this food source after it's moved down the production line to either "milk" or a "burger" (because, honestly, it's just weird), but I'll try just about anything once. I re-read the chapter on Type As last night, made out my grocery list, and set off this morning with an optimistic smile on my face.

Things didn't really start to go badly until I got to my desk, having stopped for my once-a-week Starbucks latte (yeah, normally I get the only-slightly-cheaper version at the train station, which is surprisingly tasty, but I was running late this morning). Walking away from the barista, I'm thinking "from now on, I'm a soy latte girl". First sip..."hey, this isn't too bad". I even felt like my old Starbucks-order-snob self. And then the aftertaste hit.

My latte tastes like vegetables. This is unacceptable.

I've since chucked the soy latte (that's £3 I'll never recover), scratched soy milk off the grocery list, and decided that if there's any hope for this experiment, it's going to have to be non-fat lattes for this little chickie.

If you haven't already managed to retrain your brain to expect your milk (and, I'm assuming, your burgers) to taste like veggies. Take my advice: don't do it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree - soy anything mixed with coffee is disgusting. i'm not a huge fan of plain soy milk, but if you get the vanilla kind and put it on an unsweetened cereal (like grapenuts or cheerios or something) its pretty good.

grinder said...

Yeah I don't buy the plain, I get the vanilla flavored. It doesn't really taste anything like milk, but it is bearable. Also the soy chocolate milk is not too bad.....kinda like a YooHoo. So I guess it depends on if you like YooHoo or not.

Erin said...

Interesting. I am a fan of soy milk (Silk brand). I used to only buy the vanilla flavored, but I have recently graduated to either unsweetened or light plan. Don't get me wrong, I realize it tastes nothing like milk and I'm not sure a tall glass of soy milk would be my first choice with say, brownies... but I like it.

The Doctor said...

My 2 cents (1p): don't do anything that entails heating soy milk or splenda. I like them both in the right things, but hot drinks are not it. But then, I haven't bought milk (or soy milk) in about a year. I don't drink it anyway (it is a highly overrated source of nutrition), though it is the best thing after a stack of pancakes that I can think of. When I take you to SB's in H-town, remind me to give you the skinny on milk. Hmm, that's more than 2 cents worth I think. Maybe even 3 cents. Well it makes cents to me anyway...

Erin said...

Dovie, I thought about you this morning while I was eating breakfast. Yesterday was the first day I tried something new - soynut butter instead of peanut butter on my bagel. I knew it was salty instead of sweet but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was different. This morning (after reading your blog yesterday) I realized what it was - the slight taste of edamame. I could get used to it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going back to peanut butter next time.

Ulovebeth said...

Dovie, I just discovered the chai tea latte with soy and I found it to be completely fabulous. The soy milk (maybe an oxymoron) that SB uses here (in the US) is vanilla flavored. My barista put some additional toffee nut syrup in my drink, and I experienced such a sweetness that I have never known from a SB drink. I'm hooked.
Of course, when I drink soy, it makes me feel a little hippie-like, which I like. Much easier to drink soy than to stop shaving my legs.

The Doctor said...

Oh and what about Rice Milk? Did the book mention that? It is pretty good too.

Display Name said...

I found the milk at UofH's Honors College just as good as the milk at Rice.