27 October 2006

word of the day: attenuate

Despite having worked for an oil & gas contractor for over 4 years, I still often come across stuff that is so full of technical language that it takes me a few attempts to make sense of even the normal words. One such example from today:

"We are especially interested in your ability to perform strength level analyses, ductility level analyses, nonlinear time-history analyses, and to quantify source-to-site motion attenuation."

The more I read the sentence, I began to realize that I understood everything except the word "attenuation" (and what the heck a nonlinear time-history looks like), so I looked it up, hoping I could figure out a way to throw it into a normal conversation and enjoy the funny looks I know I'd get in response.

Turns out, it's not really a technical word at all (or, not exclusively, anyway) and it might just be my new favorite word.

at·ten·u·ate (v. tr.)
  1. To make slender, fine, or small: The drought attenuated the river to a narrow channel.
  2. To reduce in force, value, amount, or degree; weaken: Medicine attentuated the fever's effect.
  3. To lessen the density of; rarefy.
  4. Biology. To make (bacteria or viruses) less virulent.
  5. Electronics. To reduce (the amplitude of an electrical signal) with little or no distortion.
Isn't it great!? I wonder why people don't use it more often!

Author's note: I realize this material is a bit dry for a Friday, so if you want a good chuckle, head on over to Laurie's corner of the world wide web and look for her weekly installment of the "friday funnies" for a good laugh.

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Dovie,
I find all of your entries entertaining...but I sure appreciate all the publicity you give me! :}

Anonymous said...

Thanks for enjoying words as much as I do, Dove. It's certainly a great Friday post from my standpoint.

On a side note - ever since your post about the "1 comments", I am hesitant to be the first to post a comment, knowing that it will result in one more grammatically incorrect statement in the world, unless someone quickly posts after me. Hmm - it just occurred to me that I can post this one, then post another one to avoid such an issue. Excellent!! (and obsessive!!)

Anonymous said...

And Laurie was right there for me!! I didn't even have to post another one. But I'm doing it anyway just because I can.

The Doctor said...

Isn't life grand!
I like the word and happen to use it with regularity, at least at work, where we talk of attenuation of various things. Like how to attenuate one's response to Chantico drinking chocolate...

palomita said...

I thought that was Hobbit-speak...

Display Name said...

At seven, you ate cereal and toast; attenuate a donut.