08 November 2006

happy week: day 3

As requested, today's little bit of happiness is a bit of explanation about another item on Monday's list: "men who break into song at the very sight of me".

To be honest, there's only one many I know who currently breaks into song when he sees me. I see him about once a month on the north bank of the Thames, under Waterloo Bridge. He's homeless...and I get to chat with him while I'm there with a group of people serving lunch. Lately I seem to be getting "chocolate biscuit duty", which means that instead of standing behind a table for 2 hours serving tea and coffee, I get to carry around a bag of chocolates (usually Kit Kats...mmm, yummy!) and hand them out and chat to people - all in an effort to create relationship, since we tend to see a lot of the same people every week.

Every time this particular gentleman spots me drawing near, he launches into "Only You", which I think is rather nice. After a few bars, we usually chat about the car and bicycle repair garage he's trying to get set up, and various stories from his life that I can't always understand, but he seems to enjoy sharing.

It makes me happy just being there, but being serenaded really is a cherry-on-top deal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He broke out in song when he saw beauty approaching...
My heart breaks out in song when I see you coming.

Mom