09 February 2007

six weird things about me

Seeing as I have loads of time on my hands right now, and unlimited free wireless Internet...I thought it time to answer the challenge given by TLC to admit six weird things about myself in a public forum.

Fantastic idea. Here we go:

  1. Food preferences. There are actually two weird things that fall into this category, but I know I'll get in trouble somehow if I try to count them separately. My food weirdisms are: (a) breakfast food is for breakfast-time only, and non-breakfast food is for non-breakfast time only (e.g. no cereal for dinner or cold pizza for the first meal of the day); and (b) I flatly refuse to eat poultry off the bone, although I'll happy get down on a good rack of ribs.
  2. A bit OCD. I tend to straighten displays and shelves in grocery stores, especially while waiting in line at the register. The first thing I usually go for is the magazine rack.
  3. Ordering espresso drinks. This most often happens at Starbucks, even in London, because as much as I hate to admit it...I'm THAT girl. So the weird thing is that I ALWAYS order a grande, even when I know I won't be able to finish it (either by lack of appetitte or time). I do this because a good friend once told me that all recipes are built on the grande size, so it therefore has the most optimal taste, and I believed him.
  4. Genetics. Two things again: (a) if I smile too big, my bottom lip goes crooked and I look like a stroke victim; (b) I can make a completely unimaginable shape with my tongue. Don't ask me how I figured out that I can perform such a feat.
  5. Phonetics. I have a hard-to-pronounce-from-text-only name. However, I HATE that the easiest way to phonetically spell my name is "duh-vee" because I think that subconsciously, people who don't know me might think I'm dumb if they see that rendering. How weird is that?!
  6. I can't NOT sing.I constantly find myself singing absent-mindedly out loud in public. It's not too embarrassing when I'm in a shop and just singing along with the overhead music, but many times I have been on the train and spotted someone watching me only to realize I was singing along with my iPod. Yikes! Must move the vocal lessons up in priority on the do list, even if only to protect the strangers I'm surrounded with daily.


It turns out there are rules...

The rules are as follows: Each person who gets tagged needs to write a blog post telling 6 weird things about themself... as well as clearly state the rules. After you state your 6 weird things, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don't forget to leave a comment that says "you're tagged" in their comments and tell them to read your blog for information as to what it means.

So, that being said, I tag Steven, Todd, Laurie, Heather, Dan and eBay.

7 comments:

Erin said...

This is a fun game, and I will not hate. But I need some time to think about what my 6 things will be, so stay tuned...

Dan said...

Darn you and your silly blogging games. I'll have to take a few moments to ponder what other people may consider odd thing since I'm mostly normal. Also, I'm really hungry so I'm going to find somethng that I can "happy get down on".

palomita said...

ARGH! Clearly, I meant "happily get down on..."

heather said...

i have completed my tag...and it was easier than I thought!

Dustin said...

Dovie getting called out for grammatecal errors = good times!

Anonymous said...

Ok, DuhVee
I've never thought of that being how your name was spelled phonetically. I've been frustrated with Dayna all my life as many people call me everything but Day-na. Not too hard but I'll answer to Diana, Debbie, Danna, Danya or almost anything else that starts with a "D". What really throws me is when they just ask for Ms. Murray because they can't figure out what to call me.

Since I haven't been tagged and the boys are at Bible study and I can't send my new marketing piece out until the morning....here are my six weirdism.
1. I have a radio that runs in my head ALL the time. I can be having a serious conversation with someone and the last tune I heard is playing in the background just as if I had earphones on. What's really strange is that my husband and I often are singing the same song in our heads and start singing them outload at the same point in the song and often on the same pitch.

2. As a child I used to hide in small places, dig tunnels with the boys down the street and hang out underground and thought swimming underwater was the coolest thing ever. After having a brain MRI and being crammed into that tubal machine with my head clamped in a helmet, I can't even read a book about someone walking in a cave or see people swim under the water and especially not in caves underwater. Typing this now, my heart is starting to race. Suffice it to say, when I get my every other year MRI of the brain, I'm sedated with good drugs. The mind can do unbelievable things to the body.
3. ESP or the Holy Spirit? Years ago a friend told me that the Holy Spirit speaks to all of us who are followers of Christ. Not all of us have learned to tune into Him and understand His calling. Very often, I have a thought about something or someone and within 2-3 days, that person will call or the event will happen. I've learned to stop and ask the Holy Spirit to open my mind to understand what He is trying to tell me. Often, I will just stop and pray for the person.
4. When I'm nervous, I put my hair behind my ears. Hard to do when it's short and above my ears to start. My husband tells me he can tell when I'm in an uncomfortable situation. I don't know I'm doing it but he always mimicks me to show me I'm in the nervous zone.
5. I dream of playing the drums. I will never be able to play the drums. I can keep a beat fine. I can match rhythms that people pound out for me. I can't make my hands and feet do movements independant of one another. As a matter of fact, I sing in the praise team at our church and I can't clap and sing at the same time and stay on the beat. Once the band leader gave me a shaker egg to play while I was singing. When I shook the egg I stopped singing. When I stared singing, I stopped shaking the egg. Pathetic. I guess that's why I can't play Nintendo games either. It's amazing I can drive, dial my phone, drink from my water bottle and hear Gertrude, my GPS tell me where to turn next.
6. I can't think of another weirdism but I'm sure my family could share hundreds of them with you.
By the way DuhVee, we have breakfast for dinner all the time and I had brisket for breakfast just the other day. Eggs turn into chickens. Chickens lay eggs. Anytime, their good eating!

Erin said...

Ok, I have now answered