05 February 2007

So, Jonny Wilkinson is a rugby stud. He plays the fly-half position for England, and returned to rugby yesterday afte a 4-year absence thanks to repeated injuries and illness. He was the Man of the Match yesterday, and played almost the entire game, despite having already gaining yet another blood-letting (minor) injury in the first few minutes of play. Final score: England 42-20 Scotland

Free Image Hosting by FreeImageHosting.netThere was a FANTASTIC shot of him that I've had my heart set on posting, because it screams "classic rugby moment", but I can't find it anywhere, so you'll have to settle for this image of his highly-contested try during yesterday's game.


So, to illustrate the complete and utter barbarian nature of the game, I offer this picture of Ireland's Denis Hickie, receiving some attention for a cut as Ireland was in the process of winning their match against Wales. This is what the BBC coverages said about the moment: "Hickie spilled blood in the cause and had to go off for stitches to a head wound, with Geordan Murphy temporarily taking his berth on the Ireland left wing."

Did anyone note the word TEMPORARILY there?
Rugby term of the day: "blood substitute"

Free Image Hosting


(All photos courtesy of bbc.co.uk)

2 comments:

Mick said...

As the Black Knight would say, "It's only a flesh wound".

The Doctor said...

SUPER! Where do I sign up to play?