On Saturday, Jonah (a.k.a. Mick) and I went for a day of paintball with his brother and brother's fiancee...and 14 or so complete strangers that we got paired up with once we arrived.
The opposing team that we competed against all day was CLEARLY more experienced than our rag-tag bunch, and we lost by a land-slide.
And it was pretty hot out.
And the masks you have to wear (complete with someone else's sweat from the day before) constantly steam up so you can't see anything.
And sometimes you do something stupid like leave the field because you got hit before you realize that it bounced off and the paintball didn't explode (which therefore doesn't count as a legitimate hit). Sometimes you do this 2 or 3 times. Ahem.
And sometimes the guy you nail right in the knee refuses to acknowledge he's been shot, hides from the game marshalls and proceeds to wipe off the hit. GRR!
BUT...and this makes everything else above worth it...
YOU GET TO SHOOT A (paintball) GUN ALL DAY LONG!
Excellent stress reliever. I highly recommend it. In a word: cathartic.
Highlight of the day: Jonah was the only one to earn bonus points for our entire team (including the strangers) all day long! At the end of the day, a decent percentage of our total points earned were directly attributable to him (which unfortunately tells you a lot about how many overall points we earned)!
I blame the strangers for our overall loss on the day. I mean...I'm a TEXAS GIRL. I was practically born with a BB gun in my hand. And with the team hero coming from our little foursome...there's a clear theme emerging here, I think.
5 comments:
I'd be happy to help teach you Texans how to shoot while I'm visiting the further reaches of the British Empire in July.
its funny you mention being "born with a bb gun in hand". my little brother showed me how to shoot one for the first time ever this weekend when i was visiting pa...you're right - shooting is kinda fun :)
paintball is extremely fun. i have been about 4 or 5 times now with our students from church. junior high kids are hard to hit....at least the little fast ones are. and they play video games and know how to pull the trigger really fast. but its still fun to rock their head back with a well placed (ahem lucky) shot right between the eyes.
"The further reaches of the British Empire". That will never not make me laugh out loud!
I pretty much relegate paintball to bachelor parties... the mask thing always gets me. And even more annoying is when I forget to wear my contacts... I may as well tie a blindfold around my head.
Post a Comment