21 July 2005

hiatus from grammar patrol?

What with learning a new language and all, I've completely lost all sense of pride with regard to the supremacy of my grammar skills.

I'm ambiguous with every email l send, as the spell-check feature suggests the British spelling of more words than I care to remember...I sometimes allow the dictionary to correct me, sometimes not.

So now I live in fear that everyone will think me a horrible speller, both here and in the States. I suppose this is one of those sneaky ways God gets at our pride.

Score another one for the Creator.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With over ten years' time working for a British company, I feel your pain. I am now much more likely to use an 'ess' when a 'zed' would be more common here in the States. I often use the plural verb with a singular noun of multitude ("Microsoft have released a patch"). There is often no "K" in "schedule".

Couple this with the fact that I'm a naturaliz/sed Texan, and you have all kinds of fun. Today, in an email to a high school friend who is back in Ohio, but who went to college (University?) here in Houston, I said "I might could" do something.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. And of course I sympathize. I resisted adopting their supposed superior spelling ways until after about a year of living there, then I just gave up and conformed! And Mike's comment reminds me of the numerous times I have said "could do" and "should do" around Americans who looked at me like I was an uneducated schmuck.

Anonymous said...

Irregardless, don't get too flustrated over it. ;)