I’ve been in England almost 4 weeks.
I just got a phone last Friday (last day of week 3).
I should be getting broadband in 6 days.
But I still don’t have a television.
While this does mean that I’ve done a lot of reading and walking around town just to keep from sitting around staring at the walls, I am definitely looking forward to the day when the much anticipated TV does actually arrive. I have DVDs to watch, a language to learn (and isn’t a country’s media the best way to do that?), and hours of unallocated time in which to do it.
I’m living in a ‘fully furnished’ flat, and (clearly) a TV is supposed to be part of that package, but the people that lived here before me had their own TV, so I guess the owner never had to buy one. They agreed to provide a TV by mid-September, but we’re quickly approaching October and I still don’t hear the choir warming up to sing the Hallelujah Chorus.
It’s definitely an exercise in patience…and I have to say that God is forcing me to ask myself I would be spending as much time in the Word or studying or prayer if I did have my precious TV.
What I’m hating is that the answer is NO. And what is even more shameful is that even though I AM spending more time doing those things, I still find jingles of other things to do instead of being thankful for all the ‘extra time’ I could be spending with the Lord! So, it’s two lessons in one, really (and maybe more, by the time it’s all said and done):
- Have patience.
- Reconsider how I prioritize my ‘free time’ before the Great Distracter arrives.
8 comments:
You are getting sleepy... you want to watch more Arrested Development... you must watch more Dr.Who... you have a craving for CSI- Manchester... you'd sell your soul for another episode of Friends... you hope for a Seinfeld reunion-Out of the Joint and back in the City... when you wake up you will have a sudden desire to cluck like a chicken whenever you hear the theme song to Gilligan's Island...
Did you really say you have to learn another language??? In England? That's hilarious.
I knew that you liked Arrested Development, but I never would have guessed you were a closet fan of Dr. Who. Oh well, don't watch too much tv, and avoid Gilligan's Island reruns.
You're trying to learn Scottish, right? For work? or is it more personal?
Um...actually, it's two new languages, I guess.
I speak American.
They speak English around here.
And I want to be able to speak Scottish...
...even though I already know French.
Dovie, you definitely speak a language all your own. ;)
I feel your pain though. We (my roommates) and I have cable. None of us watch a large amount of TV though. But most of the shows we do watch are on cable stations.
For Dinah: E! and MTV (sorry girl, I'm outing you)
For Laurie: AMC (what else do you watch?!)
For Me: HGTV, TLC, ABC Family, (oh my gosh, I'm outing myself!)
But I would want a TV if I were you!
...just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip, that started in this tropic port aboard this tiny ship...
anybody hear clucking?
A good way to meet the neighbors is to invite yourself over to watch their TV. Mention your penchant for the kilted-type, and they'll be introducing you to their Scootish cousins/coworkers/pub-mates just to get you off their muffets (English for Sofa)!
Post a Comment