I was invited to my first ever Burns Night dinner on Friday night. These dinners are held all over Scotland in honor of their 'national poet', and are not very prevalent in England...but I've got friends in all the right places!
One of the many pieces of tradition during the dinner is poetry reading...mostly works by Burns himself...but at this dinner, folks were invited to read some of their own work. I don't write much poetry, but I threw down a few lines for fun on the train ride to the dinner. I'd like to claim that my hurried efforts affected the quality of the prose, but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be much better if I'd spent hours on it! Here we go...
I'm jut a naive American girl,
Who fell in love with the land of the kilt.
And if the good Lord who lives up above,
Should deem in His heart to give me a pearl,
And send me a husband,
From somewhere among them,
I'll be quite happy,
Right to the hilt.
Now, should the Lord send me,
The one, the only, the perfect gent;
But one who can't really claim the descent,
Well, someone will just have to teach him,
Exactly how to speak with the accent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
so very cool to do. Makes me want to write another poem on me blog. oh, and I've got men in kilts coming to me blog soon too...
kilts! yippee! perfect poem!
I was just in Scotland last week, and they were explaining the Robert Burns Night dinners & dancing celebrations to me as well... Sounded like a fun tradition. I'm glad you had the chance to partake!
Post a Comment