Fair point. When I noticed the green squiggly lines and thought about it, I realized that, technically, "there's" is a subject/verb agreement error (and that I regularly make this mistake in speech due to inattentiveness). And even though I don't think I'd ever say it, I thought I'd try what would be technically correct.
Apparently, Bill's grammar police are OK with this approach, but that just doesn't look right to me. So I went "long hand" and wrote it out.
Now, not only have I sent a grammatically correct email, but I have been made aware of my own regular carelessness with my speech.
Sometimes I wonder how people get by in life without (or without deference to) the red and blue squiggle lines. I think they're a God-send (and a source of much enjoyment)!
5 comments:
Dare I point out that your subject line appears to be wrong? I am thinking you meant to say "world" cup...
DANG IT ALL!!
And yes...it was wrong on the version I sent "my boss" as well.
BLAST!
Oh, the irony...
And wouldn't it be "match"/"matches" rather than "game"/"games"?
BTW, you have to see this.
Good call, Mike. It would be "match/matches" over here.
I am SO going to have to give up my grammar patrol badge. I think I'll be caught between two worlds for the next couple of years...speaking two 'languages' and all.
It could be test/tests, but I'm not sure about that. It would be if referring to rugby.
and don't worry about the whole "Word Cup" thing, because after all, the post is about "Word" and a few particular words at that. I think it is a subliminal/subconscious slip rather than a simple typographical error.
Word!
Post a Comment