18 January 2006

tap dancing

One of the few things I just DO NOT understand is the continued usage of the double-tap sinks in the UK, which are even sometimes still called for in new construction.

It may have made sense at some point in the history...or maybe it's just that the 'technology' didn't exist to combine the taps, but come on...




...is there really any market demand still out there for the double-tap sink?

If you've ever used one of these little guys, you may remember doing a constant, delicate dance between the hot tap (which is desperately trying to SCALD your skin) and the cold tap (which is near freezing temperature, even in the summer) to achieve a luke-warm combination, which frankly isn't possible.

5 comments:

Todd Richards said...

I have been involved in said tap dancing rituals... and I agree with you 100%. And even the nifty little apparatus that combines the taps for a shower doesn't work. The water still comes out in "phases" that alternate between boiling and sub-zero. Come on, Europe... get with the program.

Anonymous said...

Americans and Brits each have a list of oddities about each other, and this one, as you probably know Dovie, is #1 on my list. I can hardly maintain my composure just thinking about it. #2 may be the supposed washer/dryer combo machine that is really just a washer. Attempt to use the drying function at your own risk.

Nomad said...

Hi, Dovie!

The Doctor said...

It isn't just Europe- I have had that experience already in NZ. I also hate the shower apparatus wherein one turns the dial from off to cold to hot- it was all good until I tried to turn it off- thought I was going to need some aloe-vera for the instant scalding I received!
I got better...

Anonymous said...

Let me also say that having a bathtub where the bottom of the tub is several inches higher than the surrounding floor coupled with exceedingly high sides is a recipe for bruises.

And, when you fall, what are you most likely going to grab to steady yourself? That nifty towel warmer you thought was so neat when you checked in....