31 January 2007

'tis the season

So, the Rugby 6 Nations tournament begins this weekend. I'm just a little bit excited about this.Free Image Hosting

Last year - after failing miserably to fall in love with cricket - a few different folks suggested I give rugby a shot at the prize for my favorite sport to watch in the UK, and as the 6 Nations tournament was about to begin, the timing was perfect.

During the post-showdown interview after the first game of the 2006 tournament, the 'Man of the Match' was grunting happily along about the various important tackles, rucks, mauls and tries all the while he was BLEEDING FROM HIS EYE SOCKET.


Clearly, these guys are NOT kidding around about their sport. And so I was hooked.

I'll be cheering for England this year. I had mixed emotions about where to place my loyalty the last time around, but they are no longer split. Fingers crossed they'll make a better showing than the English footballers did in the World Cup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun....how did you do after seeing the "socket bleeding"? I know how much you love blood and guts so I was just wondering. :)
Mom

Dustin said...

Ah, to be overseas and not have to count on Richmond Arms to watch such a great contest.
War All Blacks!

The Doctor said...

Well, since the All Blacks are not in it, I guess I'll want Scotland or England to win. Although, it would be nice to see my name in the headlines too.